Sunday, October 19, 2008

"tell facebook I want my face back"

I was surfing youtube for some interesting videos I could share with everyone about economics, the environment, or anything politically related, but then I thought there was enough of that, so check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7vqXxw3Os0 and feel free to share your response.

This video is of Shannon Matesky, a young artist, speaking at the Def Poetry Jam. First of all, I was pretty amazed by this girl's ability to voice her opinion with such passion and eloquence. She talks about how our younger generation has become complacent on technological measures, and we overuse the convenience of text, instant messaging, and networking cites in our efforts to build relationships. She argues that through these network, we allow free information to stream into anyone's hands, even into the hands of our public enemy. I really like how she states the fact that our generation tends to criticize the controversy behind the Patriot Act, even though they are the ones who are posting all of their personal information for the world to see. This act was signed into law by President Bush in 2001 in order "to deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world, to enhance law enforcement investigatory tools, and for other purposes." This act was controversial because people felt the government was violating our privacy and free speech, but people are blind to their own doings.

I am not going to lie, our generation is incredibly talented and technologically savvy. These so-called conveniences have made our generation spoiled. It's fine to be spoiled because this nation is constantly looking to improve society, and our society strives for convenient lifestyles. The problem is our younger generation continues to complain about this violation of our freedom of speech and privacy when the same group of people are responsible for creating and marketing these networking sites, such as facebook and myspace. They are responsible for violating their own freedom of speech, and it is time they stop complaining and realizing this revelation.

This video made me realize my faults in relying on this convenience of communication and overlook how much personal information I am releasing for everyone to see. The reason I was posting this video was not only because it is targeted to the younger generation, which is everyone in our class, but also because of this very unique way Shannon Matesky illustrates her opinion on this matter. She uses so many persuasive techniques in the language she iterates, the sarcasm and jokes she uses, and the specific references to pop culture in order to capture her audience's attention. Right when she mentioned myspace and facebook, you know right away, she is talking to the younger generation. By stating what people have forgotten through these conveniences in social contact, she reminds us of what were ultimately losing, and that is what is what creates fear. This fear is what she wants her audience to feel because fear is what will get people to change or at least think.

5 comments:

Wes said...

I have to agree to a certain extent that technology has made it very easy for the general public to release too much information to strangers, but i certainly do not agree with many of the things that were said in that video. First off, she rants and raves about how we are opposed to the patriot act but we are "doing the work for them". Im can't speak for anyone else, but if the government wanted to listen to my cell phone conversations, they would mostly hear some pretty boring stuff. I dont have any secrets that would interest the government and even if I did, I wouldnt talk to people on my cellphone about it.

I would argue that the majority of cell phone usage has no real importance beyond communicating with another person. The average law abiding american isnt going to have to worry about the government tapping their line and listening in. Phones allow people to have the freedom to go places they arent familiar with knowing that help is only 1 call away, phones these days allow stock brokers to do their jobes on the move.

Facebook can be used to stalk people but Id be really suprised if anyone in the class has been stalked by someone on facebook. Most of the people on facebook use it as a socializing network to keep in touch with friends who have moved away to other schools. Honestly, as long as you dont put TOO much personal information on facebook, there is no way for someone to stalk you.

All of the technologies that she discusses in her speech enable everyone to live our lives the way we do. We shouldnt solely be looking at these technologies as something bad, we should also see all of the good that these things have given us.

Nebie said...

Isn't it ironic how the clip of this little known artist turns up on youtube, a site that is visited by millions - and here we are making conversation about what she brings up on an online blog? I think this shows that technology has its pros too - it allows a large amount of people to interact in a way that would otherwise be intangible. I do agree largely with all of her points though as well as both of yours. Does anyone remember the day when we had ONE cell phone shared between members of the same family (or maybe that was just mine). It was for "emergencies" i.e. if your car breaks down in the street. Now there are laws in place to keep us from doing the things that have become almost innate like texting while driving. As for facebook and myspace, the artist personifies it perfectly. I would have to disagree with Wes, facebook is a serious problem!! I'm not saying I don't have one (who doesn't), but you can find out so much information about someone even if it is implied information. People can't use the excuse that its just to keep in touch with people. If you want to keep in touch with someone, pick up a phone. Send an e-mail. Remember Xanga? I think blogging was what started it all. You get to be the person you want to be. You let people that would otherwise see you as ordinary or not see you at all into your life, or what you wish to divulge about your life.

Thanks for posting that video, I enjoyed it.

Jonathan said...

I have to agree, technology has pretty much taken over most facets of our lives. Even the ipod allows for complete customization. So even though two people may have similar taste in music, they will have completely different experiences based on what they feel like listening, or not listening, to that day. It has has made our bubble and personal space even larger-just look around campus. Everyone is on their phone or plugged into their ipod, so that any real chance of meeting someone new is virtually nil. This reminds me of the existentialist movie "Waking Life" and a quote from the narrator. in short:

“Hey. Could we do that again? I know we haven't met, but I don't want to be an ant. You know? I mean, it's like we go through life with our antennas bouncing off one another, continuously on ant autopilot, with nothing really human required of us. Stop. Go. Walk here. Drive there"

I think when her arguments about facebook/myspace are definitely relevent. I admit too i don't talk to or am close with the majority of the people of my friend's list. But as so many political discourses have suggested, humans are social creatures, and there's no stopping that. I once joked about having a notebook or post-it pad attached to everyone's back would have create the same craze that these online social networks do.

That's not to say that I think these things are entirely bad-I have been able to get back in touch with friends from elementary or from the other side of the country through these networks. And it is convenient to leave someone a message about when to meet up when they're not answering their phone.

So I don't think technology or its implications are good or bad, it's really how we use them.

Nooches said...

I think Shannon makes an interesting point that by using facebook, aim, and email we are becoming less connected with each other. Instead of having personal, face-to-face conversations we settle with communicating over instant messaging which Shannon doesn't believe is a real interaction.

I don't know if I agree with her 100% though. Well first I would like to say that I think facebook is the ultimate stalker tool. Which is exactly the reason why I deleted my wall on my facebook. Some of my friends are annoyed that I don't have a wall but I feel that if you have something to tell me you can just message me. I don't know how many times I have seen people reading OTHER PEOPLE'S wall-to-wall conversations. How creepy is that. I just don't think walls are necessary.

But I don't think we use the new methods of communication to distance ourselves from one another. I personally only use texting when I am in class, in an area with poor reception, or just when directly calling someone would be inconvenient for either party. Email is useful for academic or work related communication. Facebook makes it so much easier to keep in touch with everyone you know. If someone drops their phone in a toilet and has to get a new number, you can add their new number. Instead of being scared of facebook we should appreciate how convenient it is. I guess I agree with Jonathan's comment, "So I don't think technology or its implications are good or bad, it's really how we use them." We shouldn't blame technology. We just have to learn how to balance convenience of technology with the personal touch of being huma.

jasonhk said...

This video really questions our understanding of freedom. Its theoretical limitlessness is always stunted by the clashing of peoples wants and needs.

I believe technology has not made our lives worse or less meaningful, but changed the standards of society. The manner in which we go about socializing is different certainly creates problems, but also has benefits. But we are constantly evolving and moving in a new direction, which I wholly admire. Meaning, its all personal preferance.