http://www.livescience.com/technology/080814-robot-brain.html
It is really amazing how science is always in progress. Throughout history, men have created the most innovative tools toward improving levels of convenience, methods of research, and all sorts of wonderful technological changes. I found an article about how scientists have invented a robot with a brain using the neurons of rats and just thought of how far science has brought us today. In the past, this idea would seem insane and unbelievable, but now it doesn’t seem surprising with all the funding that goes towards research and technology in our generation. When I read this article, I was amazed by how far we’ve come in scientific research and very interested in the development of this robot because of it beneficial health purposes.
In a way the idea of having men create a new species can be controversial. People can argue that this idea goes against religious values. The fact that humans are creating a new species can be viewed as man’s attempt to exceed God’s power. There are so many reasons why people would be against this idea or at least be afraid of the concept. Even though the purpose of this robot is to be more effective in researching incurable diseases, our society is still skeptical of extreme innovation. No matter how good the intentions are of this new invention, people will always consider their morality, ethics, and virtues that will hinder their social acceptance. Ideas are streaming everywhere in this world, but we do not see all these inventions being mass produced. Society needs to accept these products, and in order to be accepted, these products have to benefit them somehow following society’s values. Innovation will continue to exist, but new inventions will flourish only by social acceptance. That only makes sense that society would be careful with the products they decide to endorse because the ideas and new inventions they accept are ultimately what will characterize social ideals, values, and standards of living. People want the best, both in quality and measure of convenience, but they consider public safety to be their main priority. If a new idea or invention threatens the level of stability and safety in a society, there will be a hindrance to change or improve.
Some people might believe that by creating an artificial species is crazy and unethical; hence, the controversial issue of human cloning or stem cell research. These methods, ideas, inventions that may stir up controversy in our morally and ethically attributed society can alternatively be the cure to so many incurable diseases, of which modern medicine have limited healing powers. People are afraid of the extremity in new science and technologies because of the consequences they can bring to their society, rather than the innumerous benefits these discoveries would bring about. Accepting innovation is difficult because the new and unfamiliar, whether it’s beneficial to the society or not, is a threat to social stability. Invention brings on change and people, who feel safe and comfortable with today’s society, feel an unnecessary measure of effort to support that change that could further benefit the world.
3 comments:
I agree that I would have never thought possible in this day and age that there could a robot that is governed by independent neurons. This is almost out of a science fiction novel.
I don't know how this breakthrough counts as scientists creating a new species. The scientists are merely using a brain composed of rat neurons, which isn't technically a rat brain in and of itself but rather small components of one.
I do agree however that people are afraid of radical change. For example, the same OVERWHELMINGLY Democratic California populace is the same populace that voted to constitutionally change marriage and exclude gays from legal rights. I don't see this robot really becoming an issue though because I'm not sure ifthe rat is harmed in anyway or if these neurons are merely being extracted. And the applications of being able to synthetically build a robot WOULD be beneficially in certain areas like the article stated like memory. Even still, I do believe that science has to be bounded by some ethics, and that's where controversy springs from.
Thanks for sharing this article, it's really interesting!
You say that society needs these thinking robots. I know its easy to disagree on this now, but I feel like in time this may be true. Necessity is often argued as inherent, innate, and "natural". We both agree in that social norms and ethics are everchanging.
Depending on various factors, I believe that human desire for conveniance and privilege may eventually guide society towards more automation. In the far future, I can easily imagine the commericialiation of brain-infused robotic invention.
An important question to ask is, why is animal research unethical? Is performing invasive procedures on rats or mice unethical? (because i'm sure they euthanized the rats that they extracted the neurons from) Would animal rights activists agree? Do they have more say in such research practices in comparison to a biological reseracher AND why have they been able to alter research practices? What would they say, when they realized that nearly every medical advancement and drug procurement resulted from animal research? Should dogs, rats, or monkeys be treated the same? What about using human cells, neurons, and embryonic stem cells? Are we being unethical by using embryos? But ren't we being unethical by throwing away these cells?(which have the potential to helping understand and perhaps curing many devastating diseases)
Ethics...Who DECIDES! I enjoyed this scientific article/blog.
Its crazy that our technology today is now powerful to create something, like jonathan said, out of a science fiction novel. Its hard to believe that I'm alive to see such a breakthrough because I just remember watching cartoons as a kid and seeing robots with their own minds on a rampage while some super hero comes to save the day. I understand why society would be afraid because this kind of technology is still so new to us. Human imagination has created scenarios, mostly of destruction and devastation, with the idea of robots with their own mind such as the Matrix or iRobot. I could definitely see society benefiting from such an innovation, but there are so many ethical issues involved that it will definitely take time, trials, and errors to just accept such technology if even expand upon it.
Post a Comment